April 28, 2013

Jesus Christ on a Goddamn Drone

I've been writing about the lessons revealed by what I now term "the Boston experiment," most recently here, and also here and here.

I was just taking a look at Freedom Rider. Margaret Kimberley seems to have abandoned her blog for the last several months -- but she's going strong at Black Agenda Report, as in this wonderful recent column, which establishes some desperately needed context for the events in Boston.

In looking over Margaret's blog (and searching for something else entirely), I stumbled over a post of hers from almost two years ago, which referenced a post of mine from that same time (here and here, respectively).

The title of my old post, from July 2011, is: "You're So Easy to Rule." After Boston, that's bad enough. And take a look at the short passage of mine that Margaret highlighted:
Your national leaders are terrorists. Look on the bright side: they aren't shooting at you or sending drones into your neighborhood. Not yet. You still have that to look forward to, you fortunate idiots.

But most Americans can't or won't acknowledge the fact that terrorists rule them. The ruling class counts on that, and they're absolutely right. Are there millions of Americans camped out in Washington, or even thinking about it? Don't make me laugh.
"They aren't shooting at you or sending drones into your neighborhood. Not yet."

Hell. I've occasionally remarked that, when I make what most people consider outrageous suggestions about what the future might hold (the preferred style of such critics is: "Arthur, why do you have to be so extreme, and so angry??"), reality usually exceeds my modest predictions more quickly than even I had expected. In that respect -- and in light of events of the last few years (try this one: the significance of Brennan's confirmation), and particularly given the Boston experiment -- I am compelled to observe that events now seem to be speeding up.

I made some brief observations about broad future trends toward the end of my last post. After being reminded of my remarks from two years ago, I think I may stop doing that.

I'm beginning to give myself nightmares.